magazine options

Lighthouse Hill

Lighthouse Hill

Geography & History

Lighthouse Hill is the name of a hill, and the neighborhood situated thereon, in the New York City borough of Staten Island. Formerly known as Richmond Hill, Lighthouse Hill acquired its present name when the Staten Island Range Light, towering 141 feet above the Lower New York Bay, was built there in 1912. Its original light could be seen as far as 21 miles away. The former name of Richmond Hill survives in Richmond Hill Road, located at the southern edge of the hill.

Lighthouse Hill is the southernmost of the chain of hills that radiate from the northeast corner of Staten Island and separate its East Shore from the region behind the hills, usually referred to as Mid-Island by island residents. Richmond Creek flows near the bottom of the hill's eastern ridge, and it is surrounded on all sides by parks belonging to the Staten Island Greenbelt, with the LaTourette Golf Course at the hill's southern margin.

Neighborhood & Attractions

Like the other hilltop neighborhoods of Staten Island, Lighthouse Hill is noted for having some of the most opulent homes on Staten Island, rivaled only in grandeur by the Todt Hill neighborhood. In addition to the commanding views of historic Richmondtown and New York Harbor, Lighthouse Hill is also the site of the Jacques Marchais Museum of Tibetan Art, The Crimson Beech (residence designed by Frank Lloyd Wright), and the Latourette House (ca. 1836).

Lighthouse Hill, Staten Island. (2008, November 25). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 21:56, January 13, 2009, from,_Staten_Island&oldid=254000291